Thursday, February 12, 2009

Austin bound

Austin...Austin, Massachusetts? - Name that movie.

Going down to Austin for the weekend to support some friends for the thon and 1/2 thon. There is also a super competitive 5k that I will be partaking in down in San Marcos. My race is on Saturday morning and is supporting the women's soccer team at Texas State. I've always been a huge supporter of their program and I know that my $12.50 will make a difference. So in honor of the women bobcats I am going to sport my Batman costume during the race. Worst case scenario, T-Bud said it best. I wear this ridiculous costume yet still take the race seriously (this is possible) and lose to some 16 year old in training shoes. I agree, that would be pretty embarrassing. Luckily, my costume comes with a mask and my identity will be protected.

Sunday: I will have some pacing duties throughout and fully expect that I will be covering the 26.2 distance myself. The marathon and half both start at the same time and I will probably just jump in illegally a quarter or half mile into it. I'm going to take Verdo to the crest of one of the larger hills around 3.5 to 4 miles. He will be very aggressively facing off with the half and a long awaited PR in the distance. The plan after that is to just continue dropping back and running with each person that comes up next. This will be a great training run for me but hopefully it is also beneficial to some of these guys and I can take their mind off the race for a short while. Good luck guys...Kick some A.

Also, to make sure that us northerners fit in with all these Texan cow herders we went out and bought the finest and most authentic western wear we could find. By that, I mean we went to Alcala's. Hats, shirts, shoes and most importantly a good belt buckle. Yes, I fully expect that we will not be welcomed with open arms. But don't forget, we're from Chicago...so we don't care. Just kidding. Just kidding. But we are in the works to go shootin' cattle on Monday and that would just be embarrassing without a good hat and buckle. You don't need a permit for that right? Finally, you can't go traveling around Texas wearing the same gear all weekend, so, yes we did buy traveling apparel and multiple buckles.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about the Batman results. Hope there are people there taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete